No-weld HPV

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
No-weld HPV

Users helping users with the construction of no-weld HPV trikes, bikes and velomobile.

2 posters

center of gravity on cargo trike

masbury

center of gravity on cargo trike Empty center of gravity on cargo trike

Post  masbury Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm a novice at this, but it looks to me like the cargo version would be front-end heavy when not loaded with cargo. Anybody have insight on whether this is true and what to do?
    Thanks!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

center of gravity on cargo trike Empty Heavy front.

Post  Admin Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 am

I guess I see it differently than you. I have no problem with the cargo version but the single seat version looks nose heavy. The seat and BB could be moved back to improve the balance at the cost of some cargo space.
    My only question on any of their design is the durability of the aluminum. All the rest of it can be worked out. I see post by someone from N55 saying they have had trikes in service for 1 1/2 years with no issues.
    I have a defibrillator implant and cannot weld, so this is right down my line.
    masbury

center of gravity on cargo trike Empty weight

Post  masbury Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 pm

I'm sure you're much more experience than I, so you're probably right. Thanks for the insight.
    I'm under a 7-day limit for posting links (as a new member), but I found some interesting photos over at Picasaweb that might answer a few questions of mine. If you're not familiar with them, I'll send you the link next week.
    masbury

center of gravity on cargo trike Empty aluminum

Post  masbury Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Regarding aluminum, have you seen anything that suggests the alloy that has been used? Looking at suppliers, it seems like 6063 is most common but that 6061 might be a little stronger.
    Also, in comparison to metric sizes, I think an appropriate US size might be 1 X 1 X .063, though there are some with thicker walls (and, of course, greater weight). I believe .07 would be an exact conversion of the 2mm used in Europe.
    Many thanks, and best of luck with your health issues!

Last edited by masbury on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

center of gravity on cargo trike Empty aluminum

Post  Admin Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Yes, I would like to have links from any site that I haven't posted either here or on my blog.
    If I was starting my build today with what little knowledge I have to work with I would use 6061 T6. I'm a HAM radio operator and years ago I built a lot of antenna with 6061 T6 and I know it has the ability to flex. I think 1 x 1 with 1/16 inch walls. Might use a thicker wall in some of the higher stress areas.
    The way I see it on the use of aluminum and this trike. If something were to break, it is so simple to replace on this design.
    BTW, in my mind I've worked out a way to mount the BB. I'll try to post soon. I still have questions about the steering. May have to build a model of this to get it straight in my head.
    George

Sponsored content

center of gravity on cargo trike Empty Re: center of gravity on cargo trike

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am